- The Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office has effectively prosecuted thousands of cases, including highly publicized cases such as Ferrer, Warren and Bullock.
- The Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office has been strengthened by the addition of seven new Deputy District Attorneys (DDAs). The prosecutorial team assembled is strongly focused on the mission of the Office: to vigorously represent the People to improve public safety and maximize justice while respecting individual rights.
- Our office has increased vertical prosecution — when the same prosecutor, investigator and victim witness advocate remain with the victim throughout a criminal proceeding — particularly in cases involving child abuse, elder abuse, domestic violence, and sex crimes.
- A backlog of pending police reports has been eliminated and the average “age” of cases dramatically reduced.
- To improve criminal justice, I established a weekly liaison meeting with representatives of all the police agencies, the courts, Department of Justice and the Probation Department.
- To create consistency and increase efficiency, I personally made a large proportion of the charging decisions and weekly trial assignments.
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the Office has been improved with the retention and hiring of excellent people in staff positions.
- Our Office has engaged in substantive outreach to help community leaders address problems that can foster criminal conduct.